Stuart is the lead coach at Accelerate Performance Centre. His areas of expertise include:
- Endurance and speed development coaching
- Technique and movement pattern development
- Heart rate training
- Periodised training plans
- Coach Development
Stuart has been coaching athletes for 30 years, and during that period has written articles for many national newspapers and magazines. He has worked with British Triathlon at performance level, as well as working with club runners and triathletes. He spent a period working with the RAF triathlon team as lead coach before choosing to focus purely on run coaching and athlete development.
He continues to work with a wide range of athletes, from County and National level champions, through to 8 year olds just beginning their athletic journey, through to 80 year olds aiming to keep moving and healthy. Stuart also works for England Athletics as part of their ongoing Club Run Program and at a regional level when required to do so, Coaching Coaches.
He is also able to work with clubs and groups developing their own runners or helping the coaches within the group to develop their experience and expertise.
When he isn’t at Accelerate Performance Centre, Stuart enjoys listening to his ever growing collection of vinyl, drinking good beer, and running the beautiful trails in the Peaks (not all at once, that would be silly!).
Stuart’s coaching Philosophy: “To allow the athlete, whatever their goal or potential, to effectively maximise their training, through increased knowledge. In doing so – gaining a greater understanding of their own body’s reaction to exercise, therefore enabling the athlete to become as self-sufficient as possible”.
- Tom Saville: British Fell Champion U23, 2104, 2015, 2016. England representation 2013, 2015.
- Stuart Bond: England Representation 2013, 6th English Fell Championships, County Champion.
- Julian Lings: British Duathlon Champion 2014, 2015, 2016. GB Elite Representation 2015, 2016. Ranked 5th in World Powerman.
- Caroline Bullard: National Tetrathon Champion 2004 & 05.
- Stuart Walker: Ultra Runner, winner Snowdon Trail Marathon 2015, 20th Matterhorn Ultra 2014 and 2015. Winner Fellsman, 2019.
- Lee Walker: 3rd Spine Challenger 2015. V40 Winner Dig Deep 30 (ultra) 2019.
- Chris Shelton: Winner Snowdon Trail Half Marathon 2016 (course record)
- Anna Hoogkamar, 2nd U23 English Fell Championships 2016 and 2017.
- Megan Wilson, Northern Ireland Mountain Running Team 2017 and 18.
- Kieran Loombe, U19 Yorkshire Fell Champion 2018, U19 Yorkshire County Representative (at age 16)
- Jack Crownshaw, U19 Yorkshire Team, 1st Open U18 British Mountain Championships 2015.
- Alex Hinchcliffe, 1st U23 Edale Skyline. 1st Stockport 10k 2017 & 18
- Harvey Martin, 3rd Derby 10k 2019, Winner Bamford Fell Race 2019.
- UKA LiRF and Fell CiRF,
Movement Skills and numerous development days
- BTA Level II
- Sports Academy Sports Nutrition
- Diploma: Sports Psychology
- Heart Rate Training
- Mountain Bike Technical Leader
- Sports Coach UK
- Imagery Training
- Working with Children
- Coaching Methods & Communication
- Sports Science & Coaching
- Health & Safety in Coaching
- Analysing Your Coaching
Early Coaching Career
A Sports Coach with over 30 years’ experience, having been mentored by some of the country’s best, Stuart today works with Great Britain and England representatives, along with national champions on the Fells and Mountains.
Early in his career, qualifications and various contributions to national magazines led him to be mentored by Chris Jones (BTA’s Olympic Coach) and Doctor Greg Whyte. This led to expertise in the role of Blood Lactate Testing within the science of running, coupled with aspects of training planning and periodisation. During this period, he helped establish the RAF’s Coaching Program and Triathlon Athlete Training Schedules, resulting in further success for the team and increased GB representation. He has a strong knowledge of running technique and strength & stability.